Protesting Injustice: Kaeper-kneel

Michael Chambers, Reporter

Since the 2016-2017 NFL season, quarterback Colin Kaepernick has kneeled during the national anthem to protest against racial injustice and police brutality.
Since May 2017, Kaepernick has been a free agent, and has yet to be signed despite proving to be a capable NFL starter and leading the 49ers to a Super Bowl appearance in 2013.
Sophomore Nick Coleman thinks Kaepernick deserves to be on an NFL team.
“He has a lot of talent and has done nothing wrong. He was broken down in the process of standing up for something,” Coleman said.
Coleman supports Kaepernick and other players taking a knee, and thinks a player’s personal beliefs should not affect his ability to be on an NFL team.
“You are your own man, and until there is equal justice and peace not only for racism, but for everyone, then keep doing what you’re doing,” Coleman said. “It’s not fair to not sign him, then you’re just discriminating towards that one player because of his beliefs.”
Sophomore Santos Hernandez believes that Kaepernick is doing a good job in spreading a positive message, but doesn’t agree with his methods of protesting.
“He did nothing wrong by taking a knee and it shouldn’t affect his job, but I do think he should find a more positive way to express his opinion without bringing it to his work,” Hernandez said.
Sophomore Richard Taylor thinks that the NFL is wrong for shunning Kaepernick, but also thinks the way he handled the situation was poor.
“He did nothing wrong as a player and he does have the talent to be an NFL quarterback, but it’s kind of disrespectful,” Taylor said. “That’s not something celebrities should do knowing the reaction they’ll receive.”
Football coach Jason Perry supports Kaepernick kneeling and thinks he’s being treated unfairly.
“I understand why he’s kneeling and I think it really shows unity for the players,” Perry said. “He should be judged by his play on the field and not his opinion, he does have the talent to be on an NFL team.”
People all across America may have different opinions about Kaepernick and his protests, but at the end of the day, he’s just a human trying to spread his beliefs and stand for civil equivalence for everyone.