Senior check-list

Connie Ho, Online Managing Editor

Senior year is winding down and the school year is already halfway done. For seniors, this is an important time to prepare for college and get ready to take a step into a new lifestyle. In addition to this, there are many things to complete before students can tackle college on their own.

1. Finalize insurance plans: It is important to make sure you have chosen an insurance company that takes care of your car insurance, life insurance, and other insurances. An accident or incident can pop up out of nowhere so it is recommendable to be prepared.
  2. Choose your housing plan: Often times, many college freshmen take advantage of on-campus rooming because it is a cheaper alternative. Whether or not you choose to live on-campus or off-campus, it is wise to decide on where you will reside and if you will have a roommate. Take a look at what your college offers and make your choice. Also, you should develop a plan for how you will pay for housing accommodations.
  3. Create a plan for bill payments and other living costs: College life does not come cheap and students often resort to inexpensive meals and other necessities. Several options include getting a part-time job or having your parents help with some of the expenses. A good thing to consider is setting up a budget for each month, this will prevent you from overspending.
  4. Decide upon a healthcare facility: In case of illness or being in an emergency situation, it is a good idea to have a designated healthcare facility to go to. Also, it is good to have a personal doctor that will be able to help you consistently instead of receiving a different doctor on each check-up. Along these lines, before heading to college, make sure your vaccinations and annual check-up is done.
  5. Create a banking account: Managing money is an essential step that will help organize and maintain your finances. A bank account will be able to store large amounts of money so that you will not have to keep it in an unprotected area.
  6. Explore the campus area and learn what is close by: Familiarizing yourself with the campus is a smart plan so that you will not be lost. Exploring the campus will allow you to know where the nearest grocery store, pharmacy, restaurants, and other buildings are. This can save you time and money.
  7. Prepare all of the school necessities before freshman year begins: This includes gathering the needed textbooks, applying for classes, buying dorm furniture or decorations, and getting other materials. Getting these things done will be time-saving and beneficial.
  8. Get to know upcoming freshman students: It is always helpful to know someone or a group of people who can help you. Meet new acquaintances and make new friends, in the long-run you will benefit from this.

A link to other tips before starting college: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/professors-guide/2010/05/26/15-good-things-to-do-the-summer-before-college