Keeping it in the Family

Miranda Molina, Reporter

In the morning, in an office the size of a closet, English as a Second Language (ESL) and Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC) teacher Cynthia White gets ready for the day. She signs into her computer and her daughter, senior Annie White, passes the time, talking about her day before the first period bell rings.

Annie has spent most of her life with a parent in the school district, and it has become a part of her life.

“Because [my mom] is in the school, it’s nice to come in here at the end of the day,” Annie said. “When she had a different office I could go in there for lunch. I like that I get to see [her] during the day. I feel it’s nice to have that connection.”

She said she has never had a reason to not like having her mom in the district.

“I am a bit more braggy to be honest,” Annie said. “It feels cool to have a man on the inside. I really can’t think of anything bad. Except that she hears [about] all my bad grades and drama, but I am usually the one to tell [her] all those things.”

Annie said that having a parent in the district comes with its advantages.

“She knows things that are going on in the district, like FAFSA [workshops],” Annie said. “She knows more. Instead of me having to track down a teacher or counselor, I can ask my mom for more information.”

Because she’s grown such a strong connection with her mother, Annie said she might not grow out of some childhood habits.

“I am just reminded of preschool when your parent was about to leave and you [are] crying ‘No, no don’t leave!’,” Annie said. “I feel like I would still be that way. Not crying but I’ll miss her throughout the day.”
Before joining in the ESL program, Cynthia was an English teacher. Annie says she can tell her mom misses having the teacher-student bond she had before.

“Since I was a small child, she [was] always a teacher,” Annie said. “But this is [the] first time that she is not in a classroom. I think she misses having that connection. She still sees kids, but not in class. It doesn’t make a difference to me, but I know she misses her students.”

However, Cynthia said that she loves her new position because it gives her the chance to impact more students.

“I loved being a teacher; I love working with ESL,” Cynthia said. “I could go back [to teaching] if I wanted, but I really like what I do now. I feel like I am impacting a lot more students than just one classroom. I get to make sure they get the service they are suppose to. I call them down and meet them during testing, graduation, and other big milestones.”

Cynthia says she enjoys being in the district. It makes things easier in case of emergencies. But the biggest reason she loves being a parent in the district is the way she can affect Annie by giving her a sense of security.

“Because I know the teachers and procedures, I have a better understanding of the school environment,” Cynthia said. “I get to see her at home and here at work. I am especially blessed.”