Games galore

Leslie Mageto, Reporter

Many clubs have few members and often go unrecognized, by bigger, more popular clubs. This year the card club was formed, and although the club currently has about 15 members, the club still remains optimistic.

Card Club is sponsored by English and language arts teacher Samantha Rieff, and students meet every Tuesday from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Rieff was delighted to host the club, because she has experience with cards.

“I played [cards] in college,” Rieff said. “A friend taught me how to play, and we would always have tournaments and stuff on the weekends.”

A card club has been suggested many times before by students, but no one has ever put their words into actions.

“One of my English students came up to me one day and asked if I would be willing to sponsor [the club],” Rieff said. “We were approved the second week of September and have been having meetings since then.”

Students bring their own cards and games, but there are extra cards available for students who do not have any that day. The most played game is Yu-Gi-Oh, which is similar to Pokémon, and Magic. Many students also bring their DS games and headphones to play.

“The kids are very welcoming,” Rieff said. “Even if you don’t know how to play they’ll teach you. Anyone who wants to play can play.”

According to Rieff, the club starts with everyone doing their own thing. The students each have specific decks, but they sometimes pair or team up and compete in tournaments. Rieff hopes that throughout the year the club will expand. She said there is a variety of things to do, and you can meet some interesting people.

“Basically it’s just a place for kids to have fun,” Rieff said. “It’s a very welcoming environment for everyone.”