Krismasi Njema, or Merry Christmas, in Swahili

Patty Castillo, Reporter

While some may put an Xbox One, the newest iPhone or a Chevy Camaro on their wish list, freshman Isaac McMillen wants something unmaterialistic this holiday season. McMillen’s older sister was given the opportunity to teach science to middle schooler’s in Kenya, Africa and will not be home for the holidays. He has put her at the top of his wish list.

“She applied for the job and was offered the position a little after knowing it was in Kenya,” McMillen said. “It’s been her lifelong dream to go somewhere else in the world and teach.”
Although the family was fully supportive of her opportunity to go, she was still skeptical of whether or not she could leave for so long.

“She was actually unsure at first because she did not know if it was worth it or not to be separated for two years from [our] family,” McMillen said. “We were really close before she left.”

Although McMillen is separated from his sister by a physical distance of 8,719 miles and a time difference of nine hours, they are still able to take advantage of the time they have when they talk to one another.

“The last time I saw her was in July,” McMillen said. “She left [for] Kenya to get ready for the school year. We Skype or FaceTime [at least] every two weeks, and we talk about what’s going on in our parts of the world. It’s hard to because of the time difference.”

McMillen celebrated Thanksgiving with his dad and younger sister this year. He feels he has a better appreciationor what the holidays are really about now that he will not be able to spend it with his older sister. Even though McMillen’s sister will not be here this Christmas, he has her return date marked down.

“Unfortunately, she is not coming home, but I wish she could,” McMillen said. “She is going to be back in the summer of 2017.”

McMillen said he misses his sister, but he wants her to enjoy her holidays in Kenya like she would back home.

“She always brought more to the table around the holidays,” McMillen said. “It would feel better to have her here, than to get [anything materialistic.]”