Life preparedness after high school

Juliana Gary, Reporter

The high school experience is ending for seniors and that means that the world will be accepting adults into society – hopefully prepared adults. But not many seniors feel that their time spent in classrooms has prepared them well for the life they will be living in just four months. Many seniors are expected to hold jobs as well as maintain their grades. They are closing in on their diplomas and freedom, but many students do not know how to make a cohesive resume.

When asked about their life preparedness, seniors Brisa Diaz and Alina Petprachan said they were less than confident.

“I don’t know how to pay taxes or apply for a job,” Diaz said. “I don’t know what a W-2 even is.”

High school is supposed to prepare students for higher education if they wish to pursue it. But academic education and life preparation often go hand in hand.

“I appreciate going to free public school because some things [we have been taught] were really interesting, but I honestly feel like we know a lot less about real life than people who’ve dropped out and gotten jobs,” Diaz said.

In fact, Petprachan has learned quite a few interesting things to get through high school, but not through life.

“I don’t like how teachers really depend on test scores to determine your grade,” Petprachan said. “I haven’t learned a thing this year, but I know how to write a thesis. You learn how to cheat really well, how to [get away with] not doing your homework, and how to not write an essay.”

Many students feel that teachers are just teaching toward major tests, especially STAAR. Instead of getting a complete education, students are just being taught TEKS or objectives they need to pass one test.

“I’ve hated all the standardized tests throughout school because not everyone learns at the same rate as everyone else,” Petprachan said.

Instead of focusing on tests, Petprachan believes that teachers should have been more helpful with college preparation. She said she thinks teaching someone how to apply for college should be a more integral part of the junior and senior years of high school.

“I didn’t even know how to do my applications for college,” Petprachan said. “I was panicking for half the school year, and it’s gonna be hard because I have no idea how I’m going to live after high school. Like, I’m gonna have to buy a house eventually. Like, what?! That’s so crazy.”

While growing up and not knowing how to survive on your own is stressful, Petprachan said knowing that things are going to be different and offer more freedom makes it all seem somewhat okay.

“We’re so used to being surrounded by certain people, and college is going to be really different in that respect,” Petprachan said. “You have so many more options and a lot more freedom. There are so many more opportunities to do things you want to do. I honestly think I’m more excited for life after high school than I am scared.”