Mr. North Garland

Beth Mauthe, Reporter

The beginning of a new tradition is taking place this year for the male senior class. With the need of a new fundraiser to replace their usual candy selling, DECA sponsor Kimberly Adams decided to bring a Mr. North Garland Pageant to the school that she hopes will continue annually.

“I’m wanting more of a spirit pageant and not a vanity-based pageant,” Adams said. “Plus, I think it’s a good time to start a new [tradition] with a new principal who cares so much about school spirit.”

Adams talked over the new idea with her DECA officers, who started planning out the pageant program, tickets, MC auditions, and voting. However, the next major hurdle for Adams was getting a sponsorship. Men’s Warehouse agreed to give contestants a free tuxedo fitting and rental for the pageant and give a gift certificate for a free tuxedo rental to the winner of the pageant to wear at prom.

“Everything has just been very fast-paced,” Adams said. “One thing I would definitely like to change is the date. I like [the pageant] being in December around winter break, but I really want it on a Friday [in the future].”

Because this is the first year and there is limited time before the production, Adams decided to only have boys participate. Ten senior boys were nominated around the campus to represent the club they participate in, such as “Mr. Band,” “Mr. Choir,” and “Mr. StuCo.” Restricting the number of participants would also mean that there is less time needed to get each person fitted and interviewed. Although the rule could change in future years if the pageant is successful, time is not the only reason she thought the “guys only” policy would be beneficial for this year.

“I really wanted to make it a spirit-based competition,” Adams said. “And, being a girl myself, I know how quickly girls will turn it into a beauty pageant instead.”

The pageant will include four sections: casual wear, beach wear, a 30 seconds to one minute talent performance, and formal wear accompanied by an interview.

“I’m not really sure what questions will be asked for the interviews yet,” Adams said. “You’ll just have to wait and find out at the pageant.”

Audience members will vote on the winning Mr. North Garland at the end of the pageant via a QR reader, similar to the way students voted for homecoming king and queen. The Mr. North Garland Pageant will be held in the auditorium on Dec. 2 during A4. Early tickets can be bought during the week of Dec. 17-21 for $3 and tickets will also be sold the day of the pageant for $5.

“I think I’m most excited about the connection and notoriety towards DECA,” Adams said. “I love DECA, it’s my passion, and we do a lot of good. But I think it’s also one of our school’s best kept secrets. So I’m excited to get our name out there with this pageant.”