Teacher’s positivity helps him power through

Brittany Davis, Reporter

The room is in semi-darkness. The light from the computer screens allow the students to type their web design notes. The teacher laughs and jokes with his students about the notes – and his arm. Technology teacher Greg Morrissey has only one arm, but he is not one to pity himself.

“Within a year and a half, I went to stage four cancer three times,” Morrissey said. “That’s amazing. I’ve had friends that went to stage three once and they’re no longer with us.”

Morrissey has always had a knack for art. In the late 1980s, he saw a commercial for the Art Institute of Dallas for 3D animation. He became interested in technology and worked in the video game industry for eight years, then set design and later, courtroom visuals. He also worked in flight simulation for two years.

“I’ve always been a good artist,” Morrissey said. “I’ve always been very detail-oriented, but I had to have a good understanding of geometry and design.”

In 2005, Morrissey began teaching Digital Art and Animation and Digital Communications of the 21st Century. Shortly after this, he discovered a lump that turned out to be a malignant tumor. After it was removed, a second tumor attached to his carotid artery and lymph nodes. The doctor informed him that he would most likely have a dead arm and it would be in his best interest to have it amputated.

“I was a left-handed artist,” Morrissey said. “I said, ‘That’s alright, I’ll be a right-handed artist and have a different style.’”

Though he had to undergo chemotherapy and radiation treatment, Morrissey powered through and still managed to teach. He credits GISD for working with him and he always tried to let his students know what was going on.

“I always tried to be upbeat and never depressed,” Morrissey said. “I always told the kids what was going on with my situation. The people [here] are incredible. I never felt like I was alone.”

Morrissey said he never wanted to know what his chances were, therefore he had no expectations. Despite the lengthy waiting period to get test results, undergoing chemo and radiation and an amputation, Morrissey has never given up.

“I’ve always believed in my capabilities and positive thinking,” Morrissey said. “I always felt like I could beat it. It’s amazing what you can overcome if you set your mind to it.”