Policies Made during COVID-19

Devorah Segura, Reporter

As a response to the novel coronavirus, the federal and state-wide government have implemented policies, waivers, and executive orders to assist the national virus response. Below is a guide explaining the recent measures taken by the government, what you need to know and how to receive benefits.  

• H.R. 748: Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act

• This is the $2 trillion dollar stimulus bill that was issued on March 25. The bill is able to send $1,200 checks to every qualifying American making $75,000 or less a year. It also provides deferments for student loan payments, relief for Americans with federally backed mortgages,  $100 billion for hospitals and health providers and increased Medicare reimbursements for treating coronavirus. Qualifying for the stimulus checks is based on income and your 2018 or 2019 tax information through the IRS. 

• H.R. 6074: Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2020

• This bill provides $8.3 billion in emergency funding for federal agencies to respond to the coronavirus outbreak. The funds will be divided among programs that develop, manufacture, and procure vaccines and other medical supplies. It provides grants for state, local and tribal public health agencies and organizations and loans for affected small businesses, also helping fund evacuations and emergency preparedness activities at U.S. embassies and other State Department facilities. The main goal of this bill is to provide humanitarian assistance and support for health systems in the affected countries.

• H.R. 6201: Families First Coronavirus Response Act

• This bill responds to the COVID-19 (i.e., coronavirus disease 2019) outbreak by providing paid sick leave, tax credits and free COVID-19 testing; expanding food assistance and unemployment benefits; and increasing Medicaid funding. In order to gain benefits provided with the bill previous history with veterans affairs, welfare, and other government issued assistance is necessary to be applicable. 

• Executive Orders from the governor’s office