Band and Color Guard trip to Memphis

Band and Color Guard trip to Memphis

Hannah Majerczyk, Reporter

The crowd was gathered at Graceland, where Elvis once performed, for a high school band concert. Two girls prepared for an unforgettable performance. As the band began to play, the Color Guard ran out to start their routine. Sophomore Cheyenne Williams danced to the music as senior Joy Omorojie led her band to play the songs they had practiced for so long.
In March, Williams and Omorojie embarked on a journey to Memphis, Tennessee with the band and Color Guard for a band concert and trip that lasted three days. Williams, who is in Color Guard, was there to perform for the band’s concert. Omorojie helped direct the band.
“We performed at the Elvis Presley museum in Graceland,” Omorojie said. “I play clarinet, but at the time, I was drum major.”
In order to travel to Memphis both girls had to endure a long bus ride. At the end of the bus ride, there was a payoff with a hotel with many commodities such as a hot tub and gym. Both girls were able to have an educational experience, learning about all types of music.
“It was a really fun experience,” Williams said. “We got to look [at] cool stuff. We saw Elvis’s grave site [and] pictures of Johnny Cash and B.B. King.”
At Graceland, there was also an area to learn more about the state.
“[Memphis] also had the civil rights museum there, so it was very educational,” Omorojie said. “It was still fun. We saw Elvis’s house. We [also] saw pictures of black musicians like The Supremes, The Temptations, and people like that.”
Not only did the trip give Williams a performance she would never forget, it brought back memories of her childhood when she was raised on country music.
“I grew up listening to that kind of music,” Williams said. “Looking at the music museums and looking at their costumes and albums just brought everything together.”
On the other hand, the trip brought Omorojie and her friends closer to one another.
“I feel like I learned a lot [about music], and I was able to connect with friends [I was already] really good friends with,” Omorojie said. “I was able to share a room with them and watch movies with them. I was able to hang out with people that I only see once a day or once a week, so I thought that was really great.”