Making Education Achievable

Litzy Casas, Reporter

Around the country, many students hope to achieve success in whatever they pursue. Whether they seek a career in agriculture, business, law or even the medical industry, students often are stuck struggling to pay off the loans and debts.

Medical students can be indecisive on what colleges to attend due to the cost of their career. Some get scholarships, but not all students are so lucky. Colleges around the United States have been deciding on giving their students free college tuition. Medical schools are starting to give free classes to those who desire to study in the medical field.

“I think it’s very helpful because to be a doctor, you have to go to a specific school, not just any, because you need special skills and practice that you’ll use,” junior Lulia Leul said “It’s good to have free tuition, but the competition can be very high since it’s free. Everyone would want to go into that career.”

Seniors around the country are trying to get a hold of this opportunity. Even with free tuition, some may not be able to afford things like food cost, housing bills and, transportation. New York University gave students a chance to attend any free medical school around the state. On Aug.16, 2016 private NYU donors raised $600 million to eliminate tuition for all its students. To ensure the students were debt-free, any student who enrolled the year before this promise got a refund of what they paid.

For Thai, a medical degree seems beneficial but she’s unsure of the cost “I am realizing the different payments you have to pay, and it piles up resulting in high tuition debts,” senior Kelly Thai said. “Not everyone gets a chance to get a scholarship. I think making a free tuition education benefits the students, but it can hurt the state economically.”

Although Thai thinks a med school could be a great opportunity, she does not think she would take advantage of it. “It’s too far and the competition is probably high. If it were to be closer and with restrictions, like a GPA, then I would take advantage of it.”

A 2017 study from the Association of American Medical Colleges revealed over 20,000 students per year enroll in medical schools and end with debts up to $184,000. Schools around Texas, like North Garland High School in Garland and Marshall High School in San Antonio, prepare their students for medical careers by having suitable classes.

“I think medical school requires dedication and you have to be prepared and devote time, energy, and resources to further your education,” North Garland High School staffer Christy Fisher said. “Our HST (health science and technology) program allows students to open their eyes to carriers they wouldn’t consider. Some students may face challenges they didn’t anticipate and we help them make the decision.”