Mam’selles

Karla Romero, Writer

In order to improve their Spring Show and half time routines, Mam’selles have been working hard all summer long. They attended conditioning, squad, and team practices, as well as drill team camp in Joshua, Texas with teams from other schools in the district.

“It keeps you busy, but it has its benefits,” sophomore Brittany Fajardo said. “You meet new people.”

While at camp the girls learned their routines for half time at football games for the 2014-15 school year. They also did a lot of team bonding activities with other teams. Aside from that they set team goals for the year, one of which is to make their Spring Show bigger and better. In order to do that they have been working hard first thing every morning to improve their routines, have better costumes and make it “more entertaining.”

“It’s a good group of girls,” Fajardo said. “We all have bad days, but we’re a family in the end.”

With such a big group of girls it is hard to manage them all, which is why they have squad leaders as well as a captain and team leaders. These girls go to their director, Brittany Mansell, when there are problems in the team. Mansell then deals with each problem accordingly. Many times the consequences are physical. The girls might have to run around the track, the bleachers, or have extra conditioning.

“It’s a lot, but it’s definitely worth the cost,” Fajardo said.

Drill Team is an expensive program to be a part of, but Fajardo thinks the experience is worth more than the money. Even though the cost is around $1,200.00, there are fundraisers so that the girls do not have to pay the full price all on their own. They receive a number of costumes and practice wear, all of which come with more than one piece, this is the main reason the girls and their parents do not mind paying the price to be on the prestigious award-winning team.

“Anyone can join,” Fajardo said. “They just have to put in the work.”