Students Reflect on Women’s History Month

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gabriella Rodriguez-Sanchez, Reporter

What began as Women’s History Week in California the week of March 8, 1978, has flourished into a month-long dedication as a time to remember women’s progression in society.

From the Seneca Falls convention in the year 1848, where women fought for social and civil rights including suffrage, to more recent representations of female empowerment at the Women’s March that began in January 2017, women are using the month of March highlight issues of inequality still faced.

Junior Gabriel Rodriguez Gutierrez believes Women’s History Month has become a conversation met with criticism, because of extremely different beliefs regarding women’s rights such as Pro-Life or Pro-Choice and equal wages.

“People have been changing their mindset over the years on women’s rights,” Rodriguez Gutierrez said. “So many people have completely opposite opinions and they argue over everything.”

Rodriguez Gutierrez said he’s seen several posts on social media about how women should start to get the recognition they deserve and this included some photos that showed the progress that’s been made.

“There are pictures of grandparents when they were younger when they didn’t have the same opportunities, and now that they have better rights,” Rodriguez Gutierrez said.

According to Gutierrez, there still is room for improvement of women’s rights especially in the expectations a women has, and the solution would be changing one’s perspective.

“Some people don’t overlook the past and stay stuck in the same ideas of how women should act,” Rodriguez Gutierrez said. “They should adapt to how the world is now.

Rodriguez Gutierrez said Women’s History Month is a good time to let that message be shown.

“Hopefully it gets bigger and people start to recognizing how important it is for women that they’ve come this far,” Rodriguez Gutierrez said.

Sophomore Zoe Chapman said a lot can be learned about how to improve the status of women during this time.

“Women’s History Month, to me, means a lot seeing that it gets to empower women to do more and allows us to learn about the women that got us to where we are now,” Chapman said.

Chapman believes the month of March is meant to help young women fight for their future and rights and improve upon society and this seen through the growing number of women involved in the movement.

“There is a lot more groups and activists that are fighting for the respect of women like the National Organization For Women (NOW),” Chapman said.

According to Chapman, although there is still need for more secure rights politically, socially and economically, women’s rights have progressed immensely.

“We are doing a lot better than we were in the past when it comes to opportunities,” Chapman said. “There’s a lot more rights than there was back then about respect and basic human freedoms.”

Gabriella Rodriguez-Sanchez, Reporter

My name is Gaby and I enjoy creating content for entertainment. I'm very sarcastic and enjoy using humor in my work. I enjoy travelling for my different...