New Teachers of North

Paola Hernandez, Reporter

Every year when schedules are passed out students may recognize some of the teacher’s names from the year before.

This year, however, some students found themselves wondering who the unfamiliar names belonged to, and with good reason. Many teachers from the 2016-2017 school year retired, resigned or have been transferred to other district schools, leaving their previous occupations open to new qualifying teachers.

Junior Antonio Gonzalez has a new teacher for Interpersonal Studies, Michelle Wells-Krastins.

“Mrs. Krastins has a lot in common with us, because she’s young, she’s outgoing with us and she understands what we’re going through in school, so she’s flexible,” Gonzalez said.

Mrs. Wells-Krastins is only one of the 24 teachers and staff members new to North. While there are teachers from other high schools and other districts, there are several instructors who are completely new to teaching.

Wells-Krastins, or Mrs. Krastins as her students call her, comes from the Dallas Independent School District. In her class, students learn about human behaviors, family studies and human development, how to enhance personal development, and follow careers related to counseling and mental health services.

“I feel like I’m going to have fun in that class,” Gonzalez said. “I feel like [her class] makes my day, even though it’s the end of the day.”

As the first semester continues, students are getting used to the new faces in the halls. Students like Gonzalez seem to really like their new teachers.

“[Mrs. Krastins] makes the class laugh sometimes,” said Gonzalez. “[She] gives us more freedom during class, and I feel like she’s going to be a good teacher.”

Honors Geometry teacher Cyrus Koch started his teaching career at North this year and is excited to be teaching freshmen.

“I am from a small town in Arkansas, so it’s kind of a big change from where I used to live,”. Koch said, “but I like the area and I am excited to be teaching here. I’m happy where I’m at right now.”