New Rules at North

Paola Hernandez, Reporter

The 2017-2018 school year had a rough start for some students at North.

On the first day of school, students went to their first period either ready for the first day or ready to get the day over with. What a lot people weren’t prepared for, however, was the powerpoint that contained each and every new rule that would be enforced the moment the 7:30 a.m. bell rang. Voice levels, universal quiet signals, before school expectations and cafeteria behaviors were discussed. For the first two weeks of school, students sat through 39 slides, listening to teachers talk endlessly about the new rules.

Sophomore Dakota Norris believes that the rules set this year are “irrelevant” since some of them were set last year, but never enforced. For example, in the mornings students are not allowed to loiter in the halls or go to the Raider Cafe, a section of the 500 hallway where students could go study or finish homework. Now students are forced to go straight to the library, cafeteria, tutorials, or the gym.

“I think [the new rules are] dumb because kids used to come [to the Raider Cafe] to do homework and socialize, but now we can’t do that. We’re supposed to have a [level] one in the hallway, but we can’t even hear each other,” Norris said.

Complaints have been heard all around the school from students in all grades. During lunch, in between passing periods, before school, after school and even on social media, complaints are heard and seen. Students are upset that many of their privileges like being anywhere inside the building in the mornings, being able to come back into the building after school, and talking at a reasonable level, have been limited or completely taken away. Sophomore Karen Vong, understands the rules and knows where teachers are coming from. However she feels the same  as Norris and agrees the rules are irrelevant.

“I see why they would do it, because we are kind of loud, but then again, we actually know how to control ourselves,” Vong says. “The rules are just extra and unnecessary.”

At the end of the day, exiting and re-entering the building is no longer an option. Teachers are encouraged to prohibit students from re-entering the building unless it’s for tutorials or supervised practice.

“I think it’s dumb how whenever you leave the school at the end of the day, you can’t come back.” Norris said. “What if you left something? You gotta come back. Then they say, ‘Oh you gotta wait until tomorrow’, but sometimes people take the thing you left.”

Though some teachers and students are annoyed by the new rules, the new policies have to be followed. Although controversial, the rules set in place this school year, prove to be somewhat beneficial. To get from class to class, students used to have to push past loitering students and hope to get to class on time. Now that more teachers are standing in the hallways directing traffic and enforcing the “walk on the right side of the hall” rule, students are having an easier time getting to and from class.

“I guess [the new rules] get them to class faster, but most people hate the new rules, so people are more resistent to go to school,” Norris said.

Sophomore Fher Blanco sees where the school is coming from by enforcing the rules, but he also agrees that the rules are irrelevant to students.

“I wouldn’t call them a good idea, because it’s high school, we’re teenagers, and it’s irrelevant with what we do, and sure we have to show respect to teachers but we know when to talk and when to shut up,” Blanco said. “It’s like debate class, you’re not going to shut up when you have to argue.”