National Signing Day

Braedon Harris, Reporter

National Signing Day, Feb. 1, is the first day that a high school senior can sign a binding National Letter of Intent for college football with a school that is a member of the NCAA. This year, five North Garland athletes signed a letter.

Seniors Conner Dagen, Kofi Obeng, Jaylon Ray, Garrick Hubbard and Jose Gutierrez all accepted college offers. Hubbard and Ray both accepted an offer to Sterling College in Kansas.  Obeng accepted an offer to the University of Southern Nazarene in Oklahoma.  Dagen committed to Henderson State University in Arkansas and Gutierrez to Navarro College in state.

“At first I was a little hesitant about it because it’s in Kansas and I won’t know anybody,” Hubbard said.  “Then I started meeting my teammates through Twitter, and we all got each other’s numbers.  Now, I’m pretty comfortable with my decision.”

Hubbard was not the only one who reached out to future teammates.

“As soon as I visited it felt like home,” Dagen said.  “I’ve known my future teammates for about a month and we are already a family.”

It was clear, especially after signing day, that the family of each athlete was very proud.

“I knew they were proud [that] I found a school that was right for me,” Dagen said.  “It was a decision I made and they could tell that I was happy with it.”

With the players graduating from high school this year, it’s safe to say they made both their parents and coaches proud.

“It feels great to know I’m the first in my family to go to college and that I can continue to do what I love,” Hubbard said.  “Ever since I was a kid, I knew I could play college ball, it was my goal.  Honestly, it was a blessing receiving my first official offer from the Sterling coach.”

Braedon Harris, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Class of 2019.  I'm In MST and the Engineering program.  I didn't even choose to be in Newspaper, but it turned out pretty good.