Girl’s Varsity Basketball Tournament

Jeffrey Candelaria

Braedon Harris, Reporter

During winter break, Dallas ISD hosted the 77th Annual Holiday Basketball Invitational, previously known as the Coca-Cola Invitational. Teams from the DFW Metroplex, California, and Australia competed on the court.  North Garland’s varsity basketball team won the consolation championship.

The girls’ varsity squad lost in the first round against Skyline High School but turned it around and won the rest of their games.

“It was a great experience,” sophomore Marissa Jetawo said.  “It helped prepare us for district because it really helped us bond more.  District is where everything matters, so having the tournament really helped me improve my skills.”

The tournament over the break was preparation for the next set of district matches which are played after winter break.

“We play all the garland schools twice,” Jetawo said.  “We played Naaman [last semester] and lost, we played them a second time and beat them.”

After each team plays each of the other schools twice, the district tournament takes place, but not every school is able to compete.

“There’s playoffs where the top four district teams get to be in a tournament with other schools,” Jetawo said. “[The tournament] isn’t until later after our last games.”

After the team won Consolation Championship they came back into the second half of the season stronger.  The team hopes to continue playing as they are, in hopes of qualifying for the tournament after the season ends.

Braedon Harris, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Class of 2019.  I'm In MST and the Engineering program.  I didn't even choose to be in Newspaper, but it turned out pretty good.