Track Off To An Early Start

Braedon Harris, Reporter

Track officially starts next semester, and practice began the week after Thanksgiving break.  After the track interest meeting on Nov. 10, both athletes and coaches are ready to compete.

“Track starts so early, because you’re preparing for the meets later on,” senior Pedro Trevino said.  “You’re basically getting a head start to prepare for the season.”

With hopes of winning district once again, the team begins practicing earlier in the year than most of the schools they compete against.  After last year’s seniors graduated, the team will have to work hard in order to meet expectations.

“Putting together the track team will be really hard, because we lost many of our fastest runners,” sophomore Sharik Banipal said. “Now we have to build a new team.  It will be hard for both relays and individuals, not only because of the new athletes, but also because the seniors were the ones who motivated us.”

Distance runners are coming from cross country regionals, so they are feeling confident going into track.

“I feel like we’re going to win district once again,” Trevino said.  “I feel like our distance squad is going to do pretty good this year. Most of us are hitting below five minutes [in the mile].”

Braedon Harris, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Class of 2019.  I'm In MST and the Engineering program.  I didn't even choose to be in Newspaper, but it turned out pretty good.