A Feeling of Glee During Quarantine

Gabriella Rodriguez-Sanchez, Photo Editor

With nothing to do at home during the pandemic, people have been trying to keep themselves entertained with activities such as taking up a new instrument, learning to sew, going on walks or my personal favorite, binge watching television  shows.

On Netflix, a show I recommend watching is Glee. For some, it’s nostalgic. With over 700 throwback songs that make you want to sing-a-long, and the show’s inclusivity to race, gender, disabilities and sexual orientation at a time when mainstream media didn’t include all different types of people is what really makes the show stand out.

Recurring characters that reflect a diverse environment are proudly shown as well as the struggles they go through and how they address the issues.

In the show, there are characters that come out to their families, and Glee does a great job of showing what options there are for people who may be going through the same thing as well as what some of the consequences may be for deciding to come out.

The Glee cast influence was so big that they have even performed at the White House in the Easter Egg Roll in 2010. It’s more than just singing and dancing. The show discussed bullying, school shootings, suicide, divorced families and many more real life things that a lot of people experience or see around them, and not just in high school. 

For instance, nearly five months after the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting in December of 2012, an episode aired that depicted a school shooting scenario in a responsible and sensitive way. After its release, the show saw a boost in ratings with 6.8 million viewers according to Business Insider.

Glee was also able to address the tragic and sudden passing of Cory Monteith, the actor who played the main male lead and Rachel Berry’s on-screen love interest Finn Hudson within the show. The show tried making it easier for both the audience to understand and cope with but also give awareness to a really important subject.

If you have the time, which many of us do now, go watch some high schoolers getting real slushies to the face while addressing important topics and messages that remain universal even today.