Representation for the People

Riley Sims, Co-Editor-in-Chief

President Trump has been in office for more than a year, but we are still hearing about more scandals in the White House. As the Supreme Court calls in members of Trump’s campaign, it leaves the public wondering how many secrets are going to spill out of the White House. How can we trust the government to tell us the truth when so many scandals are going on? It is time that the government is more transparent with the people.

The House Republicans released a politically charged memo on Feb. 2, that accused the F.B.I. and Justice Department of abusing their powers. The memo claims that they abused their surveillance powers to spy on a former campaign adviser for Trump, who was suspected to be a Russian agent, which alarmed many national security officials.

Republicans hoped that the release of the memos would cause doubt about the origins of the Russia investigation. Instead, it confirms George Papadopoulos’, a former foreign policy adviser to Trump, contact with Russian intermediaries was a primary factor in opening the investigation. It is disappointing that politicians only want to expose wrongdoing when it benefits their image instead of when it’s what’s best for the people. How do we know who to trust in the government?

The issue over gun control is yet another issue plaguing the government. After the recent attack on a high school in Florida, people across the nation are demanding answers. How did this happen, and what can be done to prevent another massacre? When the victims of the shooting went before the Florida House of Representatives to get a bill signed that would ban assualt weapons, the House declined it within 3 minutes. They hardly paid any attention to what the students said and didn’t offer another solution.

Sheryl Acquaroil, a Florida student, said that watching them immediately say no seemed “almost heartless.” In response to the bill being voted down, the March for Our Lives was held on March 24, to call attention to the issue of gun violence. Organizers said the total number of attendees was close to 800,000 people.

Why don’t politicians listen to the issues of the people? They were voted into office by the people, so they need to listen to them.

One way that people can improve transparency in their government is by being more cautious about who they choose to represent them. According to Statistic Brain, only 55 percent of Americans of voter’s age voted in the 2016 election. Where is the other half? How can we vote for the right politician when people aren’t even voting? You can’t create change if you aren’t willing to carry it through with action. Research each candidate before voting, and choose who is better and who will create better change in the community.

If the government isn’t willing to be more transparent with us and put the people’s needs before their own beliefs, then the people need to take matters into their own hands and pick the representatives that will.