• Welcome back, Raiders!

Tis the Season for Shopping

Riley Sims, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The holidays are near, and many stores are beginning to advertise their biggest sales of the year. For most, the beginning of holiday shopping starts with Black Friday. However, in the recent years, stores have moved Black Friday earlier and earlier. Black Friday has now become Black Thursday. By moving Black Friday to Thanksgiving Day, less people are spending time with their families and are instead spending the holiday camping outside of a store. Stores need to stop changing the day of their sales and stick to one day each year, so families aren’t constantly being separated.

The term Black Friday can be traced all the way back to the 1960s. The first group to actually use the term was the Philadelphia Police Department. The day after Thanksgiving always caused traffic jams because people were eager to shop for great deals, which led to chaos in the streets. It wasn’t until the 1980s that the term became more associated with the retailers trying to go “into the black”, or to make more of a profit. According to CNN Money, more than 154 million people shopped in stores and online last year on Black Friday, about 3 million more than in 2015. However, Black Friday shoppers in 2015 spent more money on products than shoppers did last year.

The main reason that people shop on Black Friday is simple: the sales. The discounts on Black Friday are some of the best offered by stores all year. This can be a blessing for low-income or large families that have several people to shop for. The sales allow them to save, on average, about 50 percent on certain items. With Black Friday interfering more and more with Thanksgiving Thursday, families are forced to save a spot in line when they could spend the holidays with their families who they care so much about and might even be waiting in a line for.

However, one good alternative in the recent years that many people have benefited from is Cyber Monday, which is basically the same concept as Black Friday but occurs on a different day and is online. So, instead of camping out, shoppers have a chance at sale items online. All you have to do is get on your computer and be ready to order before your desired item sells out. This allows people to spend time with their families and shop for the same deals that they could get on Black Friday at the same time.

However, there are some negative drawbacks to Cyber Monday. Issues regarding packages that are left out on the porch has been a major concern for online shoppers. According to shorr.com, 61 percent believed retailers weren’t doing enough to prevent package theft. Many companies, like UPS, are working to combat this issue by allowing package tracking and, for $40 a year, customers can redirect their packages.

There are many different ways to save money shopping for the holidays without having to miss out on family time. With increasing technological advancements in retail, shoppers don’t have to leave their house to get great deals. Companies need to brand more to the customer and have their best interest in mind instead of having only the company’s best interest in mind.