Students Stressed Over School

Riley Sims, Reporter

In June, Lewisville ISD considered revising their grade point average (GPA) policies and class ranking system. This isn’t news to some people’s ears, because they weren’t the first. Some school districts in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Illinois have already done so. However, the class rank systemneeds an extreme change due to its effect on health and personal image.

Schools and parents these days seem to put more pressure on doing well than ever before. I feel the pressure every day, because my parents are constantly reminding me of my grades and what the colleges I want to go require of me. Teachers also tell us every day to keep up our grades and not to forget about college. I spend so much time on homework that I hardly have time for myself anymore. I stress about my grades, because I know if I get a bad grade in a class my GPA will go down. According to “U.S. News & World Report”, on average, a student spends 17.5 hours on homework each week. We don’t realize how much time students really spend on homework until we see statistics like this.copy-of-img_0124

The stress of class ranks has led some students to neglect their health. Students even let grades and their GPA get to them so much so that it affects their everyday life. The majority of students have the Skyward app on their phone and are constantly checking their current grades. They should not be constantly checking their grades, because it brings too much stress on them. Most of the time they are checking them in school when they should be concentrating on learning what the teacher is teaching.

High school is definitely not like the movies, where people are carefree about their school work, and it seems effortless to maintain good grades. This has a lot of effect on personal image. It makes students feel like they aren’t smart enough or that they are doing something wrong if they aren’t in the top of their class. They may skip meals, stay up late to study, and never relax. In real life, it’s a lot more stressful. It’s hard to accurately describe what a high school student’s life is like because most of the time it’s just school work and studying. Throughout time, people have categorized those who are smart or work hard as “nerds,” but in reality, most students today do this and it’s seen as normal.copy-of-img_0120

Sure, GPA and class rank have their benefits. They push us to work harder and make better grades. Also, at graduation, students with a 3.5 GPA or above are recognized as Honors graduates. Though the positives come with the negatives, because people feel like they didn’t work hard enough they will then push themselves to extremes. Some people may say it’s “healthy competition”; however, students’ health is affected when they lose sleep over their grades or constantly worry about them. Students feel as though they need to do well to get into college and are going to extremes to meet goals. In the end they need to do what they think is right. Even if that means not pushing themselves.

In the end, are class ranks and GPAs really a “healthy competition”? Many people say that the competition is worth it, because they get into their dream school, have their dream job or are simply proud of themselves. However they’ve put so much stress on their grades, they forgot to absorb everything. Students are taking more AP classes to boost their rank, even if they aren’t interested in the class topic. They study and prepare for the test, but after, they forget everything to make room for what they need to know next. So, in the end, are they really learning anything?

The competition today is so stressful, and adults don’t understand the struggle it has become. My parents think I overreact when I say how stressful school is, because school was different for them. Society has crossed the fine line between what’s right and what’s more appealing for grades and classes. We’ve let a single number define who we are and how smart we are. Rank only defines our growth, but not what we’ve learned. It’s time for schools to find better ways for students to do well, without pushing them past the breaking point.

Riley Sims, Co-Editor-in-Chief

My name is Riley Sims and I’m one of the Editor-in-Chiefs of the Raider Echo. I’m a junior and this is my second year on the staff. I love traveling...