GRCTC Proves To Be a Success

Braedon Harris, Co-Editor-in-Chief

This year was the first year that students were able to take courses at the Gilbreath-Reed Career and Technical Center. The center was built to give students the chance to learn skills and abilities that translate directly into their desired professions.

The GRCTC allows students to take advanced-level Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses, which are designed to provide students with the academic and technical skills, knowledge and training necessary to succeed in their future careers.

With over 90 CTE courses offered at the center, students are able to learn about a wide variety of careers, including finance, hospitality and tourism, information technology, health science and engineering. With courses such as financial analysis, business management, culinary arts, computer maintenance, metal fabrication, scientific research and design, dentistry and veterinary medical applications, students are able to learn the basic practices and overall responsibilities of their aspiring careers.

“I take Cybersecurity and Cisco 1 and 2,” said junior Jesus Ruiz. “I’ve always had an interest in cybersecurity and stuff, but having the CTC is really an opportunity for me to explore more into it and learn more in-depth.”

In addition to the courses offered, some students are given the opportunity to receive certifications in their field. In Cisco, students can earn both their Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT) certifications. In the business field, students are able to earn their Entrepreneurship and Small Business (ESB) certification. Along with these, numerous other certifications can be found in courses at the CTC.

“Having that teacher and being at the center, we are given these special opportunities to take our certification tests for cybersecurity and Cisco that can help us get internships and future jobs,” Ruiz said.

There are over 12.5 million high school and college students enrolled in CTE courses across the country. According to Advanced CTE, the average high school graduation rate for CTE students is about 90 percent, which is 15 percent points higher than the national average.

“Before the center, I was just super lazy and didn’t want to do anything,” Ruiz said. “But being at the center has given me motivation to actually try in my classes.”

Although the center has its perks and can be extremely beneficial, it is not as helpful to those uninterested in the courses they’re taking.

“If you know that you actually want to do something there, then go for it,” said junior Leonel Reyes. “But if you are second guessing yourself then don’t do it. It’s a waste of time.”

Overall, the center has brought new opportunities to students throughout the district. With more courses being offered in the upcoming years, the CTC will continue to be a valuable resource.

“Next year will be even better for me at the center,” Ruiz said. “They’ll offer more certifications that I can use for future jobs.”