Beauty’s Evolving Standards

Gabriella Rodriguez-Sanchez, Reporter

The thought of being different usually doesn’t sit right with most when it comes to fitting in the beauty community, but being different can accomplish more tolerance when it comes to the perception of what is beautiful.
Beauty standards have always shaped society. Styles come and go, but with beauty standards there has always been the sense that a certain agenda must be met that is dependent on the ideas that other people support. Whether that consists of body shape, skin color or makeup, the harsh beauty standards in the world are very real and very controversial.
“Our society does have a lot of beauty standards, and they really have been evolving throughout the years,” sophomore Elijah Hamilton said. “When people see something they like, they like to talk about it, and when something looks good, it becomes a standard everyone wants to achieve,” Hamilton said.
Hamilton believes the recent trend that he has seen in media from the beauty industry has been the change to diverse figures being prominent.
“I feel that bigger bodies are becoming more mainstream and diversity is becoming more common in the beauty industry,” Hamilton said.
He believes showing others to have respect for what can be seen as beautiful can lead to a more accepting and positive community.
“More people of color and diverse body shapes need to be mainstream because if people see more of themselves they will feel beautiful too,” Hamilton said.
Sophomore Crystal Nguyen is an aspiring model who has seen the effects of beauty standards on a person’s self-esteem.
“Beauty standards are cruel because how you look shouldn’t
determine how good you feel about yourself,” Nguyen said.
According to Nguyen, standards in beauty give people insecurities that they may not have had before, which can be a burden on a person’s self-image.
“I think that beauty standards give you a mirage of what you should change even though you are amazing in your own way,” Nguyen said.
She said that breaking the boundaries in the beauty world will diminish the beauty standards society creates over time.
“In order to see change in the beauty community, that look past stereotypes, there needs to be more racial and cultural tolerance,” Nguyen said.
Nguyen is a model and does many photoshoots for MTM. She has been impacted by bullying as a result of beauty standards.
“I remember when I was in middle school, I was wearing shoes that my friends didn’t like and they stopped talking to me,” Nguyen said.“This affected me when I became a model, because I felt like I needed to live up to a standard of what others told me and it bothered me, because I tell others not to let a standard stop you from achieving your goals or getting a career they want to have so I felt like a hypocrite.”
According to Nguyen, the beauty world needs to be a more open-minded, supportive and tolerant community.
“The best way to break these standards is to be more accepting of other cultures, races and religions no matter their differences,” Nguyen said.