A Safe Place for LGBT Youth

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Safe Place for LGBT Youth

Gabriella Rodriguez-Sanchez, Reporter

When faced with displacement from unsupportive families for identifying in the LGBT community it can be difficult to find housing. Because of the place you stop to get gas or a cup of coffee, finding housing for displaced youth doesn’t have to be so difficult anymore.
LGBT youth has been having a difficult time going through the coming-of-age process. Coming out to people has been a difficult task and there is still fear of being outed. The LIGHT counselor at North has been making an effort to help these students.
“Our district has a referral card to help our administration and students have contacts to talk to about issues that may come with being in the LGBT spectrum,” said LIGHT counselor Katrina Spottsville.
According to Spottsville, coming out has been the most seen issue she has received from LGBT students that come to her.
“The main trend I’ve seen from kids is the fear of being rejected by their parents if they decide to come out, and sometimes the rejection and internal turmoil can haunt them and lead to depression and its lasting impacts,” Spottsville said.
Spottsville claims Quick Trip has a program called National Safe Place that gives sanctuary to those that may need it in the case of being kicked out by unsupportive families. National Safe Place helps get the story of people in need to programs that can help them receive more assistance.
“Any kid that is displaced can go to a Quick Trip if they have been thrown out to call shelters and provide overnight housing,” Spottsville said.“They are big on community and having people have a place to go if they don’t have the appropriate resources so they can prevent human trafficking.”
According to Spottsville, Quick Trip is partnered with other organizations that promote the wellness of people.
“Quick Trip is united with the community in other aspects as well,” Spottsville said. “United Way, National Safe Place, Folds of Honour, At risk Youth and Early Childhood Education are all partners with Quick trip that help support the wellbeing of people.”

Gabriella Rodriguez-Sanchez, Reporter

My name is Gaby and I enjoy creating content for entertainment. I'm very sarcastic and enjoy using humor in my work. I enjoy travelling for my different...