Driving Safety for Back to School

Paola Hernandez Olvera, Reporter

Driving a vehicle is a common desire for many teenagers. However, whether it be for more freedom or simply to get to and from school, there are some dangers that most students don’t think about when they get behind the wheel.

When the school year starts again, morning traffic can be more congested than usual. With students trying to get to school on time, it can cause chaos all over. From cars and buses, to bikes and pedestrians, kids are everywhere. Although there are crossing lights and school zones, in which all vehicles must maintain a speed limit of 20 mph, things can go awry if drivers become unfocused. According to Driving-Tests, a site dedicated to helping people prepare for their driving license, school zones are put in place to ensure the safety of children in and around schools.

“Drivers are responsible for maintaining safety and awareness on the streets surrounding schools,” Driving-Tests said.“All children should be able to walk or bike to and from class without fear of being hit by passing vehicles. As drivers, we must not be careless around school zones. We must understand the traffic laws for these locations and follow them at all times.”

To ensure that the roads are safe this school year, here are seven driving safety tips that people should remember the next time they’re behind the wheel.

1. Eliminate distractions when driving by putting all electronics aside until you reach your final destination.
  2. Expect the unexpected when driving near a school zone. Kids can come out of nowhere and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
  3. Slow down when nearing a school zone. It’s the law, and it’s for the safety and wellbeing of everyone.
  4. Come to a complete stop at stop signs and crossing walks. Don’t just drive through.
  5. Reverse responsibly. Watch out for students walking behind your vehicle before reversing in order to avoid running someone over.
  6. In a school zone, when the lights are blinking, stop and yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk or intersection.
  7. Stay focused and pay attention to the road and your surroundings to avoid accidents.