Seniors Reflect on Lessons Learned

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Reflect on Lessons Learned

Braedon Harris, Co-Editor-in-Chief

High school is the last stop before young adults are thrown out into the real world. It is supposed to prepare students for life on their own and give them everything they need to succeed. However, not everyone will leave high school with the same knowledge, understanding or skills. What students leave high school with can be affected by several factors like the clubs, organizations and programs they were involved in.  

Students in certain clubs, classes, groups of friends and organizations may feel as if they’ve gotten something out of high school that others did not.

“I’ve learned that the key to success is getting started,” said senior and NHS historian Earl Chukwu. “The most important thing isn’t studying all the time, but it’s to actually like learn what you’re doing. Instead of copying things down, actually learn what you’re doing. You may not be smart, but if you have good work ethic you can get pretty far in life.”

Some high school students feel as if they’ve learned the importance of getting things done. Teachers can pack students schedules with homework assignments, projects, review sessions and much more. This leaves many students with less time in their schedule to have jobs or do other extracurriculars they are interested in. However, by organizing their schedule ahead of time, picking the right classes and anticipating their workload, students are able to make decisions that are essential to their daily lives.

“Plan ahead,” said senior Vu Nguyen. “Don’t waste time doing things you don’t want to do. If you’re going to waste time, at least enjoy it.”

School is full of lessons, even some that might not be expected. Everything in life comes together, and it is important to keep up all aspects of life in order to focus on the things that are the most important.

With so much going on, students may realize that although school is important, it isn’t everything. Some students believe that it is equally as important to consider other areas of life.

“It’s not all about school. Everything comes together,” said senior Amal Kurian. “You gotta take care of yourself. You gotta watch your diet and get enough sleep, so that you don’t fall asleep in class and you have energy to focus. You have to stay focused in life. You don’t just stop after high school.”

In high school, students also learn the importance of social interaction and the effects of their actions and attitudes on others. After being exposed to a variety of people over a four-year span, students realize what they need to do to succeed in communicating with those around them.

“If you isolate yourself people are going to take that as being rude, that you don’t care,” said senior Christian Gonzales. “Put yourself out there, because that’ll keep you ahead in the long run.”

Overall, high school is an essential part of building character and providing students with traits that will follow them for the rest of their lives. Whether it is obvious or not, high school does do something. Everyone leaves high school with a new attitude, a new perspective, a new mindset and a new understanding of how the world works.

“High school will prepare you to be shaped in college,” said senior Kenny Nguyen. “But college is where you’ll really learn the stuff  you’ll need in life.”

Braedon Harris, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Class of 2019.  I'm In MST and the Engineering program.  I didn't even choose to be in Newspaper, but it turned out pretty good.