Taking A Shot At Clinicals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taking A Shot At Clinicals

Gabriella Rodriguez-Sanchez, Reporter

When it comes to their aspirations in the medical field, students decide to be in the clinicals program to get ahead on their careers. Students gain experience by joining the program, which can be beneficial to jumpstarting the training for careers students are interested in.
Every student joins clinicals with a different motivation for their decision. Students who take clinicals use the program as a way to get a better understanding of what careers meet their interests.
“I decided to be in clinicals when I was a sophomore, because I really wanted to help people recover from their illnesses and support them in their most difficult moments,” junior Helen Tran said.
According to Tran, clinicals has a set of requirements that need to be met before getting accepted into the program.
“To be in clinicals you have to take Principles of Health Science in your sophomore year, and fill out a form for clinicals second semester with teacher recommendations,” Tran said. “The teachers pick people who turn in the form and then they decide if they should do clinicals.”
Tran said that being in clinicals has given her tools she can use in the medical field and in her everyday life.
“The main aspect of clinicals that has impacted my skills, has been when I was in the hospital,” Tran said. “I learned so much more about communication and teamwork and it has been so useful.”
She intends to use her work in clinicals to help her better choose the field she wants to commence once she graduates from school.
“I’m taking clinicals now to get a head start on thinking of what career I would want to take in the future,” Tran said. “clinicals is going to help me decide whether or not I should major in a certain career.”
There are only a select amount of slots for students who are interested in taking the class.
“I knew I wanted to join clinicals toward the end of my freshman year,” junior Tiffany Nguyen said. “I’ve always been really interested in medicine, and clinicals is the earliest opportunity I got to gain experience.”
Nguyen talked about the benefits that she has gained from being in the clinicals program and how it has given her a better understanding of what careers meet her interests.
“Before taking clinicals, I never thought dentistry would interest me as much as it does now, and after visiting a dentistry school, I found out it was actually a lot more appealing to my interests than I thought it was,” Nguyen said.
According to Nguyen, she wants use what she has learned in clinicals to make a decision on what career she wants to pursue in her future.
“The one thing I hope on taking away from clinicals is my career,” Nguyen said. “I know it’s early and I have a short time left until college but I’d really like it if I could finally decide on what I want to do in my life.”
Nguyen believes clinicals has given her a foundation of skills she can use in both her personal and professional life. She has been working at Kentucky Fried Chicken and says the sanitary lessons she learned from school have helped with her with the training for her job.
“Clinicals has helped me to become a more skilled individual because the training and skills they teach us in class has translated into the job I got recently, which is very beneficial,” Nguyen said.
Nguyen said clinicals does a good job of supporting the growth of students from the high school level going into their professional careers. She said if there was anything she had to change about being in clinicals it would be the amount of times they could go to the hospital.
“I understand that it’s a hard process to find hospitals that will allow us to visit them and absorb the information we are given, but our teachers work hard to make sure we can at least try to go as often as possible, which I do appreciate,” Nguyen said.

Gabriella Rodriguez-Sanchez, Reporter

My name is Gaby and I enjoy creating content for entertainment. I'm very sarcastic and enjoy using humor in my work. I enjoy travelling for my different...