Raiders Talk Relationships

Back to Article
Back to Article

Raiders Talk Relationships

Paola Hernandez Olvera, Reporter

In high school, students deal with schoolwork, family and sometimes even romantic relationships. While some teens are involved in a relationship, not everyone has the same thought process. Students in high school are often discouraged to be in a relationship, because it’s not expected to last. However, some students take the risk and start a relationship even as early as middle school.
According to Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan think tank based in Washington D.C., 35 percent of teens have some experience with dating or romantic relationships and 14 percent are in a serious relationship.

Sophomore Reyna Guel views family ties, friendships and romantic relationships as indispensable. However, she currently is not involved with anyone.

“I’m not in a relationship because of a lot of things,” Guel said. “Boys play too much with my feelings. I’m trying to figure myself out. My mom doesn’t like any guys I have an interest in, and I really want to focus on school.”

Students who are not in relationships tend to be more focused on their education and state that as the reason they stay clear of romance. According to The Himalayan Times, these students feel that “relationships could potentially obstruct their education.” However, students who are in a relationship say their relationship gives them a sense of higher self-esteem, more confidence, and they see themselves doing better in school, according to Childtrends.org. Sophomore Leonardo Serrano is currently in a relationship and has been with his girlfriend for over a year.
“If you don’t have a partner, I feel like you don’t have the confidence in yourself that you would if you did have a partner,” Serrano said. “I know it sounds funny, but you really do find yourself attractive and smart when you’re in a relationship.”

Sophomore English teacher Ejike Agulefu encourages students to stay away from relationships at such an early age and wait until they actually know who they are and what they want to do with their lives.

“I would discourage students, or anyone for that matter, from being in a relationship until they fully know themselves,” Agulefu said. “I think insecurities really play a big part with relationships, and it’s completely normal for people to have insecurities, but when you’re in a relationship when you don’t fully love yourself and know what you’re worth, it’s a lot easier to put up with someone more than you should. Then, when you make that person your all and they leave, who are you going to be? You won’t know who you are anymore. So, get to know yourself before you get to know someone else.”