Seniors Enter Final Semester

Braedon Harris, Co-editor-in-Chief

As seniors start their final semester of high school, the final pieces are falling into place. Students are receiving college acceptance letters, FASFA confirmations and are making plans for when they leave high school.

After students submit their applications, they feel as if a weight has been lifted off of their shoulders. They worked hard to get through the extremely stressful process. You would think that after getting through the complicated application process, that you would sit back stress free, you could relax. This is not true.

“Since college is such a big responsibility and such a big part of our future, it was a relief to finish my applications and know that I don’t have to worry about it further down the line,” said senior Jason Nguyen.

The application process can be stressful, to say the least. Students are typically unaware of what they will have to do. Many learned to use a quick and simple application app such as Apply Texas or the Common App. However, this didn’t change the fact that they were sitting on the edge of their seat waiting to hear back from the colleges of their choice. They were waiting to find out whether or not they were good enough, whether they would get into the program they wanted.  

“I knew that I had a plan for the future, so it wasn’t as stressful to think about college anymore,” Nguyen said. “They replied pretty quickly, so it felt pretty good knowing that I got into the schools that I did want to get into.”

When students get their acceptance letter depends on when they applied. Some students choose to apply for early decision and are typically notified in early December. However, other students choose not to submit applications until the first of the year. Those decisions are made around March or April.

Because some students choose to apply later, they are unable to make their final plans for college. They don’t quite know whether or not they’ll be attending their desired college, so they need backup plans. Not all colleges offer the same programs, so acceptance into one college may be more beneficial toward career goals. Students may have to settle for a different program or possibly even a different degree all together depending on where they are accepted.

“It is pretty stressful, because we hear ‘the deadline is in March, and we accept admission in May.’ So we have two or three months to decide whether or not we want to go to that college,” Nguyen said. “Since A&M is replying so late we have a shorter time to make a decision. Going into A&M I’m going to major in statistics and minor or double major in physics. But for [the University of Texas at Dallas I’ll probably do mechanical engineering.”   

However, for most, the hardest part is over. Students don’t have to worry about applying. They just sit and wait for acceptance.  

“Waiting is pretty nerve-racking,” Nguyen said. “It is the school I want to go to, but since I haven’t heard back from them its nerve racking to think about if I’ll have to go to my back up schools. But I’m pretty excited. I like my chances.”