Seniors’ Path to Graduation

Gabriella Rodriguez-Sanchez, Reporter

Each year around the country about 3.6 million seniors graduate high school. Many of these young adults debate going to college, joining the armed forces, or working for a company right away. As of 2016, 69.7 percent of high school graduates were enrolled in colleges and universities. However, it can be difficult for young adults to decide what is next when it comes to their future.
Seniors each have different precautions and paths they take to reach their desired goals.
Senior JoAnna Nowosiad said she’s taking steps now to help her prepare for college.
“I want to study pre-medical,” Nowosiad said, “that’s why I take classes that can help me with it down the road.”
Nowosiad said along with her academic preparation, she has also started to organize her personal schedule.
“I bought a daily detailed planner leading up to my graduation day which helps me stay organized and on top of my work,” Nowosiad said.
Nowosiad’s dedication to her education has motivated her to go to college. Knowing her academic journey isn’t over, Nowosiad said that she remains confident in her ability to continue her education.
“I know I have way more school in front of me, so I’m not giving up on myself,” Nowosiad said.
Nowosiad said that she has not been accepted to any colleges so far, but she has started the application process and has been looking for any scholarship opportunities she can find.
Senior Elijah De Luna has a different plan after he graduates and said he is thinking about joining the military instead of going to college.
“I’m planning on going the military route, because I figure there’s a high chance I won’t go [to college] considering I never put much effort into any of my academics,” De Luna said.
De Luna said that he would take a scholarship if the opportunity arose but feels other hardworking students are more deserving.
“I just never really put a lot of effort into my work,” he said.
According to De Luna, though the military could pay for his college tuition, he wants to give the money to his family instead as thanks for all they have done for him.
“I don’t have the desire to spend all that money, time and effort on something that may wind up completely useless,” he said.
Even though he thinks he doesn’t need a degree to succeed, De Luna said if he ever went to college he would study criminal justice. However, he recognizes that he has a long way to go to reach his military goals.
“It’s been in the works and it has been planned,” De Luna said, “but I’m just not ready to execute it.”