Show Review: The Rollercoaster of Never Have I Ever

Never Have I Ever, Netflix

Ingrid Vanegas, Reporter

Released on April 27, 2020, the Netflix original “Never Have I Ever” is a mix of teenage drama, awkward experiences and laughs with close friends. This 10-episode series provides insight on living as a first-generation Indian-American teenager through the ups and downs that high school brings.

Starring Maitreyi Ramakrishnan as the 15-year-old straight-A student Devi Vishwakumar, this show takes you through her journey as she battles her hidden feelings and ventures into the world that is her Indian heritage. 

With all the free time quarantine brings, this show peaked my interest and quickly became my favorite way to pass time. The diversity of the cast allows everyone to feel included and shows the audience what it’s like to live as a teenager in the 21st century.

According to Buzzfeed News, the show’s co-creator Lang Fisher thinks it’s important to see different types of people celebrated in TV shows with our current political climate. 

This show also shows what it’s like to be an LGBTQ teenager as it follows Devi’s best friend Fabiola Torres’ (Lee Rodriguez) coming out story. This show is special, because it gives the audience realistic situations that are relatable and make you cry and laugh along with the characters.

It also includes its own dose of romance for us hopeless romantics. In the show, we get to see Devi as she chases popular jock Paxton Hall-Yoshida (Darren Barnet) whom she has a crush on. This steamy love story includes laugh-worthy moments and uncontrollable squeals of joy. 

Overall, I recommend this show if you’re looking for a cliche coming of age story. It has a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and has stayed in Netflix’s top 10 most-watched shows in the U.S. “Never Have I Ever” will take you on a rollercoaster of emotions with it’s unanticipated plot twists and intriguing storyline. And although Netflix has not yet confirmed a second season, viewers can only hope to see what happens next in Devi Vishwakumar’s crazy life.