The school newspaper of North Garland High School

• Welcome back, Raiders!

Morrison’s Departure From GISD

Texan Edition

Riley Sims, Reporter

Bob Morrison officially resigned as Superintendent of Garland ISD on December 20. Morrison has worked for GISD since February 2013. The GISD school board announced his resignation without naming an interim superintendent.

The school board took an hour of discussion before the public vote to accept his resignation. Although his retirement date was Jan. 31, his last day at work was Dec. 13, 2016. There was no explanation for Morrison’s departure. The district will have to pay Morrison $448,115 for his retirement and a year’s salary on his retirement date.

There were a lot of noteworthy changes Morrison accomplished during his time as superintendent, including a $455 million bond package voted for in 2014. The bond included repairs and modifications to schools, a new career center and a natatorium, which caused controversy. The natatorium, intended to be one of the first built, was pushed back due to cost. Morrison supported the natatorium being built first, but trustees voted against it.

Morrison’s controversial term was due to the placement of Dr. Gary Reeves on administrative leave. The decision followed an immigration issue investigated by Homeland Security in 2014 regarding Reeve’s H1B visa, which is a non-immigrant visa that allows graduate level workers to work in speciality occupations. The former head of resources was brought back and allowed to retire. Some teachers protested with paper bags on their faces out of fear that they would be fired. Since 2014, 517 supporters have signed a petition on Change.org to get Morrison fired. The petition claims that the money for the 2014 bond will come from the tax payers money and has labeled the superintendent a bully due to the issue with Reeves. The author of the petition states that he has their own consultant in Austin to help stop the bond and encourages people to get involved and fight for a common cause. The petition was eventually delivered to the GISD Board of Trustees.

The district had a new sense of unity when it appointed Morrison as superintendent in 2013, but that quickly changed as the years went by and change occurred. The district has named Dr. Deborah Cron as interim Superintendent. Edith Perez