The school newspaper of North Garland High School

• Welcome back, Raiders!

What it’s Like Being a Twin

Jeffrey Candelaria, Designer

T he saying, “two is better than one” is true for twins Marilyn and Melissa Jimenez. For 16 years, they have had the pleasure of being identical twins. Though they admit that there are some struggles with being a twin, they say they would never want to change a thing.
“It’s always fun being able to confuse people,” Melissa said. “We’ve tried switching places before and going to each other’s classes before but it didn’t work. What I don’t like is that we have to share everything.”
A lot of people assume that identical twins are exactly alike, but that’s not always the case.
“I wouldn’t say we’re that much alike,” Marilyn said. “We’re both active and are committed to school, but we have completely different personalities.”
The twins said they have different interests and hobbies as well.
“We also have a different sense of style and are into different types of movies and TV shows,” Marilyn said. “Honestly, I think that if we weren’t twins we wouldn’t talk to each other because we’re completely different.”
While having a twin doesn’t seem very different from having a brother or sister, according to the Jimenez twins, it’s much better.
“Being a twin is different from having a normal sibling,” Melissa said. “We have that special twin connection that we don’t have with our other sibling. It may not look like it but we’re each others best friend. It’s also someone who you know you can always rely on.”
Growing up as twins was a great experience for them and played an important role in Marilyn and Melissa’s life. Both said they can’t imagine life without each other.
“Growing up as twins just means we have to share everything,” Melissa said. “It gets kind of annoying at times but you get used to it. I don’t know what it would be like or where I would be in life without Marilyn. We’ve always been inseparable and we still are.”